It was right before Super Bowl and I decide, to hell with an actual meal, let’s do some dips and such. Well, if I’m going to do a Dip, I want to make sure it’s something I don’t get too often. That’s when my brain takes a plunge into the ocean. Next bright idea : Let’s do seafood! Yum!
I scan recipe after recipe until I find one that is Gluten Free AND something that has a wow-factor. I rush off to the grocery store, after bragging to others coming that THIS, THIS is WHAT I’m making. Unfortunately, I should have read the recipe better because I still had to make my mortgage payment for this month. What does that mean? It means that the Dip called for two not-s0-common cheeses that are priced pretty high where I’m from. If the Recipe would have called for a 1/2 here or there, I would have went for it, but it called for 5 cups (doubling the recipe) for one and that one was up there in Cost.
Because I had already bragged, already splurged on the not-so-cheap seafood, I had to think of something. What I thought of was what I came up with BELOW. And before you bat an eye, let me tell you that this stuff was AMAZING!!!! We used tortilla chips but you can use other chips, veggie sticks or french bread. And with the left overs, I started doing all types of stuff– stuffing mushrooms and fish. Everyone loved it. LOVED it! And while I still used SOME of the expensive cheese, I only used a small amount — considering what the recipe originally called for.
The pictures are not so great, so forgive me, but enjoy because this was so totally worth it.
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 16 oz Sour Cream
- 1 Stick of Butter
- 10 oz Frozen Chopped Spinach
- 14 oz Artichoke Hearts, Chopped
- 8 oz Italian Style Shredded Cheese (Kroger carries this.)
- 1-2 cloves chopped raw garlic
- 4 oz REAL Lump Crab Meat (If you can’t find lump, just make sure its real, uncooked and fresh.
- 1/2 Ib Shrimp (No Shell) Chopped
- 4 oz Can of Clams. I used the whole ones– not the minced. Drain these, too.
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 1 TBSP Jalapeno minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Onion
- 1/4 tsp Parsley
- 2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
- Cubed Gouda. I used .53 oz and .44 oz. So target it near those amounts. If you get a little over or less, don’t worry. Shouldn’t make a difference. This was the expensive stuff, but a little, went a long way.
- 8 oz Shredded Parmesan (Buy the fresh near the other shredded cheeses)
As I said before, throw everything but the Seafood into a crock pot. Let it melt and heat up. The amount of time will depend on how fast your Crock cooks. Make sure to go in here and there and stir. Just make sure nothing sticks. Nothing in mine did, but you never know. Add seafood 15 minutes before serving.
Let me know what you think. We loved it. And save those left overs. We stuffed mushrooms with them, topped baked potatoes with it, even added some to our scrambled eggs.