I did these for Halloween last year but this is an anytime cake. I found this recipe floating around on the internet but I ended up changing quite a bit especially where the frosting was concerned. The original recipe wasn’t turning out and that drove me a bit whacky since I had burned half a day on it. In addition to the frost, I also tweaked some other stuff to make it a bit healthier for my kids.
You can make this into a cake or cupcakes. It should make a 9 x 13 cake or around 23 – 25 cupcakes if you fill them up 2/3rd full.
- 1 cup of whole grain whole/ wheat flour (This is one of the healthy items. If you don’t care, then just double up on your unbleached.)
- 1 cup of unbleached flour
- 2/3 cup of unsweet cocoa powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 cup Mayo
- 1 1/3 cups Water
Peanut Butter Whipped Frosting Ingredients
- 3 Cups of Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla extract
- 1 Cup of Peanut Butter
- ½ pint Whipping Cream
- In a bowl, mix baking soda, baking powder, eggs, sugar, vanilla mayo, and water. Basically mix everything except the flour or cocoa.
- Slowly add the flour and the cocoa. Mix well. Pour into a greased pan or cupcake holders.
- Bake 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Let cool.
- In a bowl, mix powdered sugar, vanilla, and peanut butter until well blended. It will probably look like tiny pebbles. Add the whipping cream and whip until creamy and fluffy.
- Spread across cake or cupcakes and then store in the fridge.