These are great — at Christmas or Thanksgiving — easy to make even for the most hammered of all Hens which for all I know, could be you. .
And if the festive- get together isn’t so damn festive, absolutely no worries. Just sneak over to the gift table, unwrap a few and throw back a few Jars of this.
You will need:
- Decorative Wide Mouth Jar
- Mandarin Orange (However many you need to pack the Jar with.)
- Brandy, Vodka, or Gin
- Sterilize the Jar.
- Fill with Mandarin Oranges — Optional– grate off orange peel careful NOT to get any white. The white is what makes it bitter. Pack tightly.
- Cover with Cold Water and allow this to sit for half a day or a few hours— until you feel the water is strong enough.
- Strain water and reserve.
- In a saucepan, mix one part Honey to three parts Brandy, Vodka or Gin. You will add this to 3-4 parts water (The water drained from the Mandarin Oranges.) DO NOT BOIL. Heat just enough to dissolve the Honey.
- Pour this mixture back over the oranges in the jar.
- Store in a cool, dark place for one month.
If you don’t want to get “Hammered” then this is great to sip on as a cough syrup or just to warm you up in the Winter particularly if you use Brandy. You can cook with it, too and use for Hams, or Poultry. Drizzle some over Ice Cream or Cake.